SEIU is seeking a collaborative and innovative leader to serve as the Virginia State Council Executive Director. At this critical moment for workers, the Executive Director will partner with SEIU’s Virginia Locals and the International Union to develop and implement an integrated political and organizing plan to build long-term power for workers and communities in Virginia.
SEIU Virginia 512 and SEIU Local 32BJ are united by the belief in the dignity and worth of workers and the services they provide. The local unions are dedicated to working together to improve the lives of workers and their families and creating a more just and humane society. SEIU’s strategy is centered on building a multi-racial, worker-led movement to drive bold demands on corporations and government to rewrite the rules for Unions for All workers, regardless of race, immigration status, where or how they work.
The Virginia State Council Executive Director will work to:
• Develop and implement comprehensive state plans that integrate political, organizing, and member work to win key elections, drive the Unions for All demand, build a leader-rich SEIU, advance justice fights, and build long-term state power.
• Drive the demand for Unions for All, racial, and economic justice by mobilizing SEIU members and not-yet-union workers to challenge corporate power and demand government action to ensure that all workers have the ability to form strong, industry-wide or sectoral unions.
• Advance union organizing campaigns led by SEIU divisions, programs and local unions in order to build the organizing capacity of SEIU and organize new workers into the Union.
• Strengthen the political capacity of local unions and members to win and hold power at the national, state and local level, including supporting recruitment and development of worker leaders and activists, building the internal political fundraising program, and enhancing the skills of staff and members.
• Build independent political power for SEIU and partners in a wider movement through developing sustainable civic engagement programs and political organization, particularly in communities of color.
• Drive SEIU’s program to elect champions for working families and shift the political debate to focus on an agenda that improves the lives of workers and their families and communities.
• Support campaigns to win economic, racial, immigrant and environmental justice and to make unions and worker organizations central to the debate at the federal, state and local level, and hold elected officials accountable to those issues.
• Work with Local leaders and the SEIU State Power program to develop goals, objectives, and plans for the Virginia State Council, in alignment with the Key Shifts developed by SEIU’s State Power Leadership Council.
• Implement and direct the SEIU Virginia State Council integrated state power plan focused on meeting growth objectives, political and organizing goals, and expanding SEIU’s influence and power in Virginia.
• Supervise and manage the work and development of all State Council staff.
• Organize and lead regular meetings of the State Council.
• Develop and implement a reporting structure that tracks program metrics and outcomes on the state council’s strategic goals.
• Work with stakeholders to design and implement SEIU’s Virginia integrated organizing and political plans.
• Represent the SEIU Virginia State Council to federal, state and local elected officials.
• Extensive knowledge of political organizing and comprehensive campaign strategies that incorporate strategic research and data analysis.
• Experience in state lobbying work and a deep understanding of state legislative processes.
• Ability to design, coordinate, and direct strategic political and organizing campaigns.
• Knowledge of economic policies and analysis.
• Experience in union organizing and comprehensive campaigning and/or building or strengthening other progressive grassroots membership-based organizations.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
• Ability to hire, supervise and develop staff at all levels.
• Superb interpersonal skills, with a history of forging strong relationships with multiple stakeholders.
• Demonstrated ability to work with elected leaders and staff in complex situations.
The ideal candidate will be experienced in dealing with a diverse public in a friendly and compassionate manner. They will be self-starting, and able to maintain a professional demeanor in a fast-paced and demanding environment. While no one candidate will possess every quality outlined for this position, the successful candidate will bring many of the following professional skills and personal attributes:
Direction and Decision Making:
Compensation & Benefits
The salary for this role is $45,505 to $51,861, depending on experience. 32BJ offers a generous benefits package that includes a fully employer-paid medical, dental and vision plan (for full-time employees and their qualified dependents) and retirement benefits, including a defined benefit pension plan and 401K. 32BJ offers paid time off including three weeks’ vacation, eleven holidays, twelve sick days, and, after the first year of service, four personal days.
The Executive Director of the Virginia State Council reports to Virginia State Council Chair and a designated International Union representative. This position requires independent judgment.
Physical Requirements: Work is generally performed in an office setting but may require work in other settings conducive to performing the task required to complete assignments. Long and extended hours and extensive travel required.
Location: This position can be based in the DMV with a strong preference for Virginia.
To Apply: To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to Adrian Garcia (email@example.com). The cover letter should be concise, compelling, and outline the specific ways in which you would be a good fit for this position.
SEIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, sex, age, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, religion, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, genetic information, disability, political or union affiliation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Please send a resume and letter of interest to HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “Bilingual Office Manager” in the subject line of your email.
Please note 32BJ has implemented a vaccine mandate. Bona fide religious and ADA exemptions are permitted with additional safety measures.
32BJ is an inclusive and diverse organization, committed to advocating for social, racial and economic justice. We promote diversity and strongly encourage applications from people who believe in our mission. We strongly encourage women and people of color to apply.
For more information on 32BJ SEIU, visit www.seiu32bj.org.