How 32BJ Works
We are a democratic organization of workers. Every three years we elect our leadership.
We elect unionwide officers – president, executive vice president, secretary-treasurer, assistant to the president, and five vice presidents – and at-large members to the executive board. The members in each district (see below) also elect their district leadership.
32BJ’s unionwide officers and executive board set the course for our union. And they coordinate contract, organizing, and political action campaigns across our districts to make the greatest use of our strength to advance our goals.
Most of us know 32BJ best through our own district. We are organized as follows:
- New York Metro District (New York City and Nassau and Suffolk Counties)
- Hudson Valley District (Westchester, Sullivan, Dutchess, Putnam, Rockland, and Orange Counties in New York State)
- New Jersey District
- Connecticut District
- Mid-Atlantic District (Eastern Pennsylvania and Delaware)
- Capital Area District (Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Northern Virginia)
- Western Pennsylvania District (Pittsburgh and suburbs)
- NCFO District (National Conference of Firemen and Oilers)
- District 1201 (Public school workers in Philadelphia and other school districts in Pennsylvania)
- Florida (Miami area)
32BJ holds general membership meetings twice a year, one in the spring and one in the fall, in each district. Every member is not only welcome, but strongly encouraged to attend. They say knowledge is power – and you should know what’s going on in your union.