New York, NY
32BJ SEIU is one of the largest and most dynamic labor unions on the East coast, with over 175,000 members in 12 states and Washington, D.C. The Union is at the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, supporting progressive candidates for elected office, and moving a broad policy agenda, including campaigns to guarantee living wages, promote responsible development and expand access to health care. Its parent organization, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), is the nation’s largest labor union.
32BJ’s Research Department plays a vital role in the Union’s organizing campaigns by conducting corporate research, developing, and implementing strategies and tactics to advance campaign goals. The work includes tracking real estate trends and key industry players, performing industry, company and individual research. 32BJ seeks a dynamic, thoughtful professional to lead the research team. This position, reporting to the Chief of Programs, is based in our New York City headquarters office.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Direct comprehensive strategic planning, staffing, budgeting and operations for the Research department, as well as serve as a thought partner to union leadership on union wide priorities;
- Recruit, supervise, evaluate and develop a diverse, geographically dispersed staff into high level campaigners who are strong drivers of creative strategies and tactics;
- Oversee and drive research support for union contract negotiations;
- Work in close partnership with officers and senior staff to develop innovative, impactful and strategic strategies and campaigns that will drive future membership growth and be adaptable to future trends;
- Represent the department at union-wide and campaign meetings, as well as with external partners and allies;
- Oversee and maintain standards, including legal compliance, of research and materials produced by the department;
- Serve as an organizational leader, developing a culture of commitment to and participation in program and events connected to the union’s mission;
- Facilitate the cross-sharing of research and campaign skills across the department and within the larger union;
- Build a network of strategic allies and resources for the department and the larger union; and
- Develop and execute department-wide work plans that ensure campaigns are properly staffed and resourced;
- Minimum seven years’ experience in strategic research and campaigns;
- Excellent writing, research and presentation skills;
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage a large staff;
- Demonstrated ability to work with teams and implement plans;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, work well under pressure and deadlines, and manage multiple priorities and projects effectively;
- Demonstrated ability to build sound relationships with staff at all levels and to provide strategic advice and direction;
- Track record of working on progressive social justice issues;
- Knowledge and experience working with unions; and
- Experience in corporate research, financial analysis, public records and legal research, campaign/opposition research, data analysis, and data management.
32BJ offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package that includes fully employer-paid medical and dental plans for full-time staff and their qualified dependents.
Please send résumé and letter of interest to HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “Research Director” in the Subject line of your email.
32BJ SEIU is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.