Capital Area District
32BJ SEIU is one of the largest and most dynamic labor unions in the East coast, representing over 168,000 property service workers in eleven East Coast states and the District of Columbia. 32BJ is at the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, with an aggressive organizing program aimed at raising standards for security officers, airport workers, cleaners, residential maintenance workers and institutional food service workers. 32BJ also has active political, legislative and electoral campaigns to support organizing and raising standards for low wage workers, winning commonsense immigration reform, and fighting for racial justice, environmental justice and other social and economic justice policy initiatives. We are an affiliate of SEIU, the Service Employees International Union, which has 2.1 million members dedicated to raising industry standards, making life better for working families and our communities, and building a fair economy.
Reporting to the 32BJ Multistate Deputy Political Director, the Political Director for the Capital Area District is based in Washington, DC, and is responsible for all aspects of the Union’s political work in Maryland, Virginia, and the District of Columbia.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Work with the Multistate Deputy Political Director, the Capital Area District Area Leader, and 32BJ’s policy team to develop and drive our public policy and political agenda throughout the region;
- Plan and coordinate field activities including lobby visits, phone banks, canvassing, and public events for our policy and political campaigns at the city, district, county, state and federal level in DC, VA, and DC;
- Supervise Capital Area political team;
- Serve as liaison between elected officials and their staff and the Union;
- Mobilize, train and educate new member leaders and activists for legislative and electoral activity;
- Plan and supervise electoral program for local, state and federal elections;
- Identify opportunities and drive organizational engagement in ongoing legislative and issue campaigns;
- Support contract and organizing campaigns, including rallies, press events, legislative opportunities and targeted owner activity;
- Build the Union’s capacity through grassroots political fundraising drives;
- Oversee and carry out regional activity for federal legislative campaigns;
- Coordinate the Union’s political work with SEIU International and other labor and community allies;
- Provide political, electoral, legislative and fundraising updates and reports to Union Officials, leaders and rank and file members;
- Create and lead political trainings for member leaders.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in labor, political, or community organizing;
- Ability to design and implement powerful and effective political programs;
- Comprehensive knowledge of legislative processes, particularly in Maryland, Virginia, and DC;
- Experience working on electoral campaigns and managing field programs;
- Excellent communications skills and the ability to build strong working relationships with stakeholders across the Union;
- Fluent written and oral Spanish preferred but not required;
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including occasional evenings, weekends and to travel within the Capital Area District and to 32BJ’s headquarters in New York when needed.
32BJ SEIU offers a competitive salary, including employer-paid health coverage for full-time staff and their qualified dependents.
32BJ SEIU is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Please email a resume and cover letter to HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “Political Director” in the Subject line of your email.