32BJ SEIU is one of the largest and most dynamic labor unions in the East coast, with over 173,000 members in 11 states and Washington, DC. The Union is at the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, supporting progressive candidates for elected office and moving a broad policy agenda, including campaigns to guarantee living wages, promote responsible development and expand access to health care. Its parent organization, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), is the nation’s largest labor union.
The Political Coordinator is based in Miami, reports to the State Political Director and is responsible for various aspects of the Union’s political work, with a focus on local legislation, with a particular focus on passing policy that helps our priority organizing campaigns. It is a high pressure environment requiring rapid adjustment to changing priorities and strategies within the state of Florida.
Responsibilities Include but are not limited to:
- Working with the State Political Director on planning and coordinating political field activities, lobby visits, phone banking and events for our priority legislative campaigns at the local level;
- Mobilizing, training, educating, and developing new member leaders and activists for priority legislative and electoral activity;
- Coordinating the Union’s local-level legislative and electoral work with local labor and community allies;
- Supporting local-level legislative campaigns, including rallies, press events, as needed.
- 3 – 5 years of experience in labor, political, or community organizing;
- Ability to design and implement powerful and effective political programs;
- Comprehensive knowledge of legislative processes;
- Experience working on electoral, issue or legislative campaigns and managing field programs;
- Excellent communications skills and experience building strong working relationships with stakeholders across the Union;
- Fluent written and oral Spanish preferred but not required;
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including occasional evenings and weekends, and to travel as needed.
We offer a competitive salary based on experience. Our benefits package includes employer-paid medical and dental coverage for employees and their qualified dependents, a retirement benefit, and a car allowance.
Please email a resume and letter of interest to HR@seiu32bj.org . Please use the word “Political Coordinator” in the Subject line of your email.
32BJ SEIU is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.