New York, NY
SEIU Local 32BJ is a progressive and dynamic labor organization representing over 175,000 property service workers, including janitors, security officers, airport workers, and food service employees, throughout 12 states and Washington, DC on the East Coast. While the work of a Policy Analyst varies according to the needs of the department, 32BJ’s main issue concerns are responsible economic development and public contracting; economic, racial, immigrant and climate justice. A major emphasis is on affirmative worker protections and supporting the right to organize. The Policy Department seeks a Policy Analyst to support the legislative and issue-based work of the union. This is a full-time position based in Local 32BJ’s New York City office, with a competitive salary and full benefits.
The Policy Analyst will work primarily on state and local legislative and policy advocacy throughout the 12 states and Washington DC in which Local 32BJ operates.
The Analyst Responsibilities Include:
- Researching policy and legislative issues throughout 32BJ’s jurisdiction
- Writing testimony, memos, and position papers
- Meeting with policymakers and other stakeholders
- Monitoring/ensuring implementation of policies that have been adopted
- Advocating for issues and educating officers/members about policy and legislation
- Coordinating on campaigns with colleagues in other departments
- Working with the Director of Policy and Legislation to plan the union’s long-term agenda
- Some travel will be required.
Additional qualifications include:
- Applicants should have a minimum of three years of experience in labor, government, non-profits, or other relevant positions that included policy and legislative work
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Strong communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience working successfully with policy makers and government officials/staff as well as with policy advocates
- Ability to work under deadline and to work collaboratively with colleagues
- A demonstrated commitment to workers’ rights and labor organizing; as well as a demonstrated commitment to some or all of the following: economic, racial, immigrant and climate justice
- Experience coordinating or driving campaigns would be ideal. SEIU Local 32BJ is an equal opportunity employer
SEIU 32BJ offers a competitive salary based on experience, and an excellent benefits package including 100% employer-paid family health insurance.
To apply, please e-mail cover letter, resume, writing sample, references, and law school transcript to: HR@seiu32bj.org with subject line “Policy Analyst”
32BJ SEIU is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.