SEIU 32BJ represents 163,000 property service workers in eleven East Coast states and the District of Columbia. 32BJ has an aggressive organizing program aimed at raising standards for security officers, airport workers, cleaners, residential maintenance workers and institutional food service workers. 32BJ also has active political, legislative and electoral campaigns to support organizing, raising standards for low wage workers, winning commonsense immigration reform, fighting for racial justice, environmental justice and other social and economic justice policy initiatives. We are an affiliate of SEIU, the Service Employees International Union, which has 2.1 million members dedicated to raising industry standards, making life better for working families and our communities, and building a fair economy.
SEIU has 28,000 members in Puerto Rico, and thousands more members stateside with close family ties to the island. In 2016, SEIU passed a resolution that called for building a wider movement to win social and economic justice in Puerto Rico, in response to the increasing economic crisis on the island. In 2018, 32BJ and SEIU, together with partners in community and labor, launched Vamos4PR, a network of stateside labor, community, cultural, and human rights groups committed to fighting for a better future for Puerto Rico and empowering the Puerto Rican diaspora.
Over the past four years, Vamos4PR and Vamos4PR Action have organized members of the Puerto Rican diaspora, including people displaced from the island by the debt crisis and Hurricane Maria, and allies to fight for debt relief and to secure adequate resources for the recovery and sustainable development of Puerto Rican communities so the island and its people can thrive and decide their own future. The organizations are focused on advocacy around debt relief and economic justice, building public awareness of the issues facing Puerto Rico, and enhancing civic engagement among stateside Puerto Rican communities.
Vamos4PR, now a project of Center for Popular Democracy, and its sister organization Vamos4PR Action, a project of Center for Popular Democracy Action, are seeking a National Director, to be based at the 32BJ office in New York City.
The Director will drive and manage the program and operations of Vamos4PR and Vamos4PR Action, geared toward educating and mobilizing communities, activating voters, and winning changes that improve the lives of our members, the broader Puerto Rican community, and low and moderate income people.
Responsibilities of the National Director include but are not limited to:
- Working with the network’s leadership to develop and implement programs that advance the strategic goals of Vamos4PR and Vamos4PR Action.
- Managing a small team of staff and consultants, and providing leadership to the staff of partner organizations who work on Vamos4PR projects.
- Fundraising and managing the budget.
- Overseeing operations and compliance.
- Supporting partners of Vamos4PR and Vamos4PR Action to:
- plan and coordinate campaign activities and communications, including lobbying and civic engagement;
- advance community education around the issues facing Puerto Rico;
- Broaden and deepen the national network as well as coordinate with island-based organizations.
- 5-7 years’ experience in advocacy and civic engagement, including in managerial roles;
- Experience with labor and community coalitions, and multi-state or multi-city campaigns;
- Familiarity with Puerto Rico’s economic challenges and the role of the diaspora;
- Proven ability to raise money and manage budgets;
- Understanding of the roles of 501c3, 501c4, and political organizations;
- Ability to design and implement powerful and effective issue-based campaign plans;
- Excellent communications skills and experience building strong working relationships with various stakeholders;
- Familiarity with word and data processing software, and web-based communication tools;
- Fluent written and oral Spanish;
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends, and to travel as needed.
We offer a competitive salary. An excellent benefits package includes fully employer-paid medical and dental insurance for employees and their qualified dependents.
Local 32BJ is an equal opportunity employer. Please send a resume and letter of interest to HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “National Director” in the Subject line of your email.
32BJ encourages Women and people of color to apply.