Boston, MA or New York, NY
32BJ SEIU, the largest property service union in the country, is seeking a focused and energetic communicator to help drive and implement a comprehensive member communications program to strengthen member knowledge of and engagement in labor contract fights, union organizing drives and legislative and political campaigns.
The Union’s member communications goals are to deepen member engagement through knowledge and understanding, through calls to action, and by uniting members to build momentum for campaigns. We do this through digital and print materials for use by field staff and by members, to educate and engage other members.
The Member Communications Manager is an important member of the regional communications team and reports to the Regional Communications Manager for his/her geographic area. The Manager will work on our member communications program, including the production of campaign material to help members: organize low-wage workers; communicate the value of the union and highlight the union difference; bargain fair contracts; win progressive legislation and elect pro-working family candidates for public office. The Manager will be involved in the distribution of these materials to targeted audiences through print and digital means.
Candidates should be strategic, creative thinkers, capable and skilled multi-taskers who know how to utilize a range of communications tools to help advance campaigns. This position is based in Boston or New York City and requires occasional travel.
- Develop and execute a regional member communications strategy, including defining strategic objectives, goals and metrics;
- Oversee and drive regional member communications, maintaining message consistency and providing coordination;
- Strategize around how to best use member communication tools – both digital and print – to increase member engagement and involvement in union activities;
- Participate in campaign strategy and planning meetings with area leaders and program and campaign directors;
- Work with communications staff to implement member communications in designated region;
- Work with communications staff to maintain and coordinate social media channels for the designated region;
- Develop and manage a calendar of regional member communications coordinated with union-wide priorities, including a focus on member leaders;
- Build capacity among communications and other key staff on delivering clear, concise and effective member communications;
- Work with videographers to quickly produce short videos for internal communication purposes;
- Maintain regional text and email data in coordination with other union staff.
- Three to five years of experience in communications or campaign management in labor, advocacy or related work;
- Experience in strategic communications planning and capacity building in large, multi-faceted organizations;
- Demonstrated experience as a project manager in a fast-paced, campaign-oriented work environment;
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, handle multiple priority projects and meet deadlines;
- Ability to navigate a large, complex organization as part of team;
- Strong writing skills for print and online formats, strong sense of effective story-telling and proven ability to write quickly, concisely and persuasively;
- Facility with new media tools and openness to expanding skills in this area;
- Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice, especially work with union members, low-wage and/or immigrant communities;
- Sense of humor, a team spirit and a collegial approach to the work;
- Strong preference for candidates with written and verbal Spanish language fluency, including ability to perform accurate written translations;
- Preference for candidates with design and/or video editing skills and experience.
At the forefront of the fight for economic justice, 32BJ works to improve the lives of low-wage workers and their communities. 32BJ SEIU is the largest property service union in the country, currently representing 163,000 members in twelve states and Washington DC.
Qualified candidates may send a resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org
32BJ SEIU is an equal opportunity employer; women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply.