Member Communications Manager
New York Office
32BJ SEIU, the largest property service union in the country, is seeking an experienced, effective communicator to help advance a comprehensive member communications program, engaging and educating our members on labor contract fights, union organizing drives and legislative and political campaigns.
The Member Communications Manager is a key member of the regional communications team and reports to the Regional Communications Manager for the New York area. The Manager will work on our member communications program, including the production of materials that promote key campaign issues. These include organizing low-wage workers, negotiating fair labor contracts, promoting progressive legislation and electing pro-working family candidates to public office.
Candidates should be strategic, creative thinkers and skilled multi-taskers who can employ a range of communications tools. The Manager will work remotely to begin with, doing office and field work as needed, in accordance with our current Covid safety protocols. Those protocols will change in 2021 and, in time, the Manager will be based in our Manhattan office with occasional travel required.
- Develop and execute a regional member communications strategy, including defining strategic objectives, goals and metrics;
- Oversee and drive regional member communications, maintaining and coordinating consistent messaging;
- Strategize around how to best use member communication tools – digital and print – to increase member engagement and involvement in union activities;
- Participate in campaign strategy and planning meetings with area leaders and program and campaign directors;
- Work with communications staff to maintain and coordinate social media channels for the New York region;
- Develop and manage a calendar of regional member communications coordinated with union-wide priorities, including a focus on member leaders;
- Build capacity among communications and other key staff on delivering clear, concise and effective member communications;
- Work with videographers to quickly produce short videos for internal communication purposes;
- Maintain regional text and email data in coordination with other union staff.
- Three to five years of experience in communications or campaign management in labor, advocacy or non-profit work;
- Experience in strategic communications planning and capacity building in large, multi-faceted organizations;
- Demonstrated experience as a project manager in a fast-paced, campaign-oriented work environment;
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, handle multiple priority projects and meet deadlines;
- Ability to navigate a large, complex organization as part of team;
- Strong writing skills for print and online formats, strong sense of effective story-telling and proven ability to write quickly, concisely and persuasively;
- Facility with new media tools and openness to expanding skills in this area;
- Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice, especially work with union members, low-wage and/or immigrant communities;
- Sense of humor, a team spirit and a collegial approach to the work;
- Strong preference for candidates with written and verbal Spanish language fluency, including ability to perform accurate written translations;
- Preference for candidates with design and/or video editing skills and experience.
At the forefront of the fight for economic justice, 32BJ works to improve the lives of low-wage workers and their communities. 32BJ SEIU is the largest property service union in the country, currently representing 175,000 members in twelve states and Washington DC.
Compensation includes a full benefits package that includes both a pension and 401k plan, and employer-paid medical, dental and vision plans for full-time employees and their qualified dependents. Qualified candidates may send a resume and letter of interest to Human Resources at HR@seiu32BJ.org, with subject “Member Communication Manager”.
32BJ SEIU is an equal opportunity employer; women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply.