NY, NJ, PA, Areas
With 175,000 members SEIU 32BJ is the largest union representing property service workers in the country. SEIU 32BJ is growing quickly by organizing workers who are fighting for a living wage, respect, and a voice in their future. We currently offer an opportunity for an experienced organizer to join our Organizing team and help build on our success in winning raises and union recognition for our workers.
Reporting to the Organizing Coordinator or another senior organizing staff member, the Lead Organizer is part of a cross-departmental team. S/He participates in senior staff meetings and planning sessions and union-wide, and serves as a coach and mentor for Organizers.
The Lead Organizer performs a range of duties, which may vary according to the needs of the overall program, a specific action, or the needs of the Local as determined by the officers.
- Work with staff across departments and districts to develop and drive program; articulate a positive vision of the campaign and of the union;
- Drive the recruitment, development and maintenance of a worker leader committee;
- Help develop and run organizing meetings and trainings;
- Develop and execute her/his own monthly work plan;
- Monitor and mentor Organizers on organizing fundamentals, including house visits, identifying new member leaders, committee development, planning and running actions, etc; lead by example, setting high standards in work ethic and conduct;
- Train and mentor member leaders, including leading and coordinating member brigades;
- Support the team’s development of organizing, leadership and other relevant skills; lead by example, responsible for his/her personal growth;
- Lead actions including pickets and rallies, and train staff to do the same;
- Build effective external relationships within the community;
- Assure the accuracy of lists, records, databases and wall charts related to representation and campaign assignments;
- Work within the framework and processes of the organization to resolve internal disputes and issues;
- Other duties as assigned.
- An in-depth understanding of worker organizing based on prior work experience; three to five years of organizing experience strongly preferred, including experience leading a team;
- The ability and willingness to travel, and to work long hours, including weekend work;
- Strong and effective verbal communication and presentation skills;
- Advanced writing and computer skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills; experience and ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds, including union staff at all levels;
- A car and a valid driver’s license are required;
- Bilingual preferred
SEIU 32BJ offers a competitive salary and a full benefits package, including employer-paid health coverage for full-time employees and their eligible dependents.
Qualified candidates may send a resume and letter of interest to Human Resources at HR@seiu32bj.org with the Location and Lead Organizer in the subject, example: “PA Lead Organizer”
People of color and women are encouraged to apply.