SEIU 32BJ is one of the largest and most dynamic labor unions in the United States, with 163,000 members in 11 states and Washington, DC. The Union is at the forefront of driving a progressive policy agenda, including living and prevailing wage laws, responsible procurement and development standards, and access to health care and quality education. In Western Pennsylvania, we represent some 7,000 members in public schools, the commercial cleaning, security, and university sectors.
We are seeking a Field Representative to help build power for property service members in and around Pittsburgh. This is not an office job. 32BJ members work in locations that span several counties and many of the members work in the evening. The position could require extensive travel within the region. The majority of a Field Rep’s time is spent in the field at worksites working with 32BJ members.
- Identifying and developing worksite leaders;
- Identifying and developing Shop Stewards and/or building leaders in all assigned sites;
- Expanding activist base of the Union by connecting members to a variety of activities;
- Developing worksite or company-wide contract campaigns;
- Working with the Grievance Center to insure coordinated delivery of services to members;
- Acting as chief bargaining spokesperson as appropriate.
Scope and nature of work
- A Field Rep must be able to organize his or her time effectively, and develop and carry out plans with minimal supervision. S/He must also be able to receive direction from and interact positively with program directors and supervisors.
- Field Reps adjust their work schedules as needed, in the interest of a current campaign or action. They may be required to work long and irregular hours, and be assigned to work outside of their normal route when necessary.
- Field Reps are expected to lead by example. It is the role of the Field staff to model behaviors of what is expected of a leader in 32BJ.
- Ability to lead, motivate and inspire members to develop into leaders and participate in key union programs (political, growth, bargaining, etc);
- Ability to take initiative and be creative in developing new roles for members within the Union and provide the support needed to be successful;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Working knowledge and understanding of collective bargaining and contract administration issues;
- Strong organizational skills with ability to manage and prioritize work subject to deadlines in a dynamic and changing environment, both individually and as a team member;
- Must be competent in administrative skills and be able to use basic computer applications (MS Word, Internet/email functions) as well as tracking and database tools.
32BJ offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package that includes employer-paid medical and dental insurance for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.
32BJ is an equal opportunity employer. People of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Please send a resume and a letter of interest to Human Resources at HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “WPA” in the Subject line of your email