Bi-Lingual Field Representative
Metropolitan Washington, DC
SEIU 32BJ is the largest union representing property service workers in the country, with 175,000 members in 11 states and Washington, DC. Our members have fought for and achieved high standards for private and public sector property service workers, and we continue to fight for higher standards for thousands of unorganized service workers. The Union is at the forefront of driving a progressive policy agenda including living and prevailing wage laws, responsible procurement and development standards, and access to healthcare and quality education.
In the Baltimore-DC metropolitan area, 32BJ represents 20,000 janitors, security officers, food service, airport and skilled maintenance workers. The Union is growing quickly by organizing workers who are fighting for a living wage, affordable healthcare, respect, immigration reform and a voice in their future. We are committed to transforming the lives of janitors, security officers, food service and other service workers, and to building a movement of social and economic justice for the 99%.
32BJ is seeking a talented and motivated individual to work as a Field Representative in the metropolitan Washington, DC area. Within 32BJ, the Field Representative is an internal organizer, building the movement by engaging and educating members to participate in all aspects of union work. Field Representatives identify, recruit and develop member leaders. They perform a wide range of duties, which may vary according to the needs of the overall program or a specific campaign.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Identifying and developing Shop Stewards and building leaders in all assigned sites;
- Expanding the activist base of the Union by connecting member to a variety of activities;
- Developing and executing worksite or company-wide contract campaigns;
- Assisting in organizing campaigns among non-union workers in our industries;
- Connecting member leaders with the broad movement for social and economic justice.
Scope and nature of work
- Field Reps must be able to organize their time effectively, and develop and carry out plans with minimal supervision. They must also be able to receive direction from, and interact positively with, program directors and supervisors.
- Field Reps may be required to work long and irregular hours and to work on weekends and holidays, and may be assigned to work outside of their normal route when necessary.
- Field Reps are expected to lead by example.
- Must be bi-lingual (English-Spanish);
- Demonstrated commitment to the social justice and labor movements;
- Ability to lead, motivate and inspire members;
- Ability to take initiative and be creative in developing new roles for members within the union and provide the support needed to be successful;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to cultivate respectful relationships with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Working knowledge and understanding of collective bargaining and contract administration issues;
- Strong organizational skills with ability to manage and prioritize work subject to deadlines in a dynamic and changing environment, both individually and as a team member;
- Must be able to communicate in Spanish (verbal & written ) as well as English (verbal & written);
- Must be competent in administrative skills and be able to use basic computer applications (MS Word, Internet/email functions) as well as tracking and database tools;
- Must have a car and a valid driver’s license.
Competitive salary based on experience, full benefits package including retirement, employer-paid family health and dental plans, and a car allowance. This is a salaried position.
Applicants can send a resume and letter of interest to Human Resources at HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “DC” in the Subject line of your email.
32BJ is an equal opportunity employer. People of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.