32BJ SEIU is one of the largest and most dynamic labor unions in the East coast, with over 175,000 members in twelve states and Washington, DC. The Union is at the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, supporting progressive candidates for elected office and moving a broad policy agenda, including campaigns to guarantee living wages, promote responsible development and expand access to health care. Its parent organization, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), is the nation’s largest labor union. District 615 represents 20,000 members who work as cleaners, security officers, and in trades at higher education sites
We are seeking a field representative to be based in the Boston office to help build power for property services members. The Field Representative will work primarily with security officers who work in commercial office buildings and higher education institutions, and may also be assigned to represent other units in the district as needed.
- Identify the issues of groups of workers and individual workers at work sites;
- Effectively communicate in house calls, site visits, and group meetings;
- Identify and develop shop stewards and/or worksite leaders, build effective member committees;
- Organize workers to take action on problems at work and in the community;
- Expand activist base of the union by connecting members to a variety of activities;
- Make and execute weekly work plans to support the work of the Union;
- Coordinate rallies, strikes and other actions;
- Work with Grievance Center staff to insure coordinated delivery of services to members
- Demonstrate a commitment working for justice;
- Ability to lead, motivate, and inspire members to develop into leaders and participate in key union programs (political, growth, bargaining, etc)
- Travel between various sites in short time periods, ascend flights of stairs, and participate in marches and demonstrations of at least 3 hours in duration;
- Strong organizational skills with ability to manage and prioritize work subject to deadlines in a dynamic environment, both individually and as a team member;
- Computer skills including MS Word, Outlook, and database tools;
- Ability to work long and irregular hours, including some nights, weekends and holidays;
- Valid drivers’ license and car with insurance
32BJ offers a competitive salary. An excellent benefits package includes employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees and their qualified dependents, retirement benefits, and a car allowance. This is a full-time position based in the Boston office. Some overnight travel to other East Coast locations is necessary. SEIU Local 32BJ is an equal opportunity employer; people of diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement.
Please email a letter of interest and resume to: HR@seiu32bj.org. Please include “615 Field Rep” in the subject line of your email.