Fast Food Campaign
New York City
With 175,000 members SEIU 32BJ is the largest union representing property service workers in the country. Our members have fought for and achieved high standards for private and public sector property service workers, and we continue to fight for higher standards for the thousands of unorganized workers.
SEIU 32BJ is growing steadily by organizing workers who are fighting for a living wage and affordable healthcare. We are currently seeking experienced, creative organizers to run aggressive campaigns to unite fast food workers.
32BJ Organizers work with a team of staff and members to support workers in their fight for a voice in their future. We need organizers who can help us recruit and develop leaders who can inspire others to take action. These positions are available in New York City.
- Conducting broad and intensive outreach efforts to fast food workers;
- Building one-on-one relationships with workers, and educating them about the issues;
- Identifying and developing leaders to guide and lead their campaign;
- Conducting individual and group meetings with workers to discuss and plan organizing campaigns;
- Motivating individual workers and groups of workers to take action;
- Working to involve community allies in organizing campaigns;
- Engaging workers in broader union efforts to bring pressure to bear on the industry as a whole.
- Previous experience in union or community organizing;
- A demonstrated commitment to social justice;
- Willingness to work long hours, nights, and weekends;
- Ability to work independently and with a team;
- The ability to make and follow through on a work plan;
- Effective communications skills;
- Basic writing and computer skills;
- The ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds;
- Willingness to conduct house visits and site visits;
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus.
SEIU 32BJ offers a competitive salary based on experience. A full benefits package includes an employer-paid medical and dental plan for employees and their qualified dependents. This is a salaried position.
Qualified candidates may send a resume and letter of interest to Human Resources at HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “Fast Food” in the Subject line of your email. People of color and women are encouraged to apply.