Fast Food Campaign
New York City
Come join our dynamic, groundbreaking campaign to win a union in the fast food industry!
With 175,000 members 32BJ SEIU is the largest union representing property service workers in the country. 32BJ SEIU is growing fast by winning organizing victories with workers who are fighting for a living wage, respect, and a voice on the job. We currently offer an opportunity for an experienced organizer to join the Fast Food Campaign team and help build on our record of success in winning raises and union recognition for low-wage workers.
You can help 32BJ to build leaders and a citywide committee to take action and win a union for fast food workers, in coordination with the national Fight for $15. As a Lead Organizer, you would be a key part of the team enforcing groundbreaking Fair Work Week Laws and newly passed JUST CAUSE legislation.
Reporting to the Organizing Coordinator, the Lead Organizer (LO) is part of a cross-departmental team, including our political and communications staff. The LO participates in senior staff meetings and planning sessions and serves as a coach and mentor for Organizers.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Drive the recruitment, development and maintenance of a worker leader committee;
- Monitor and mentor Organizers on organizing fundamentals, including house visits, identifying new member leaders, committee development, planning and running actions, etc; lead by example, setting high standards in work ethic and conduct;
- Train and mentor member leaders to advance the campaign; leading member brigades;
- Support the team’s development of organizing and leadership skills; lead by example;
- Lead actions including pickets and rallies, and train staff to do the same;
- Build effective external relationships within the community;
- Assure the accuracy of lists, records, databases and wall charts related to representation and campaign assignments;
- Work with staff across departments and districts to develop and drive program; articulate a positive vision of the campaign and the union;
- Work within the framework and processes of the organization to resolve internal disputes and issues;
- Other duties as assigned.
- An in-depth understanding of worker organizing based on prior work experience; three to five years of organizing and supervisory experience strongly preferred, including experience leading and developing a team;
- The ability and willingness to travel, and to work long hours, including weekend work;
- Strong and effective verbal communication and presentation skills;
- Advanced writing and computer skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills; experience and ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds, including union staff at all levels;
- Social media savvy;
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus.
32BJ SEIU offers a competitive salary and a full benefits package, including employer-paid health coverage for full-time employees and their eligible dependents.
Qualified candidates may send a resume and letter of interest to Human Resources at HR@seiu32bj.org with “Fast Food – Lead Organizer” in the Subject line of your email.
32BJ SEIU is an equal opportunity employer. People of color and women are encouraged to apply.