District 615 – Rhode Island/Massachusetts
32BJ SEIU is one of the largest and most dynamic labor unions in the East coast, with over 175,000 members in twelve states and Washington, DC. The Union is at the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, supporting progressive candidates for elected office and moving a broad policy agenda, including campaigns to guarantee living wages, promote responsible development and expand access to health care. Its parent organization, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), is the nation’s largest labor union.
The District Coordinator is a management position based in Providence, RI and supports the Field/District Director in the development and implementation of the District’s strategic plans.
Key Program Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: furthering the Union’s Member Leadership Program; supervision of Field Representatives; developing and directing Bargaining Contract Campaigns, Organizing, Political, and Legislative Campaigns.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Coordinating an organizing campaign of non-union janitors and security officers in Providence
- Overseeing the development of union member leaders; develop and provide support on leadership workshops; recruit and encourage member involvement in political and other union events
- Overseeing the advancement of union member issue campaigns, including the development of campaign proposals, materials and timelines. Direct and work closely with organizers during the execution of all campaigns
- Managing relationships with key players in property service industries: Colleges and Universities, Cleaning Contractors, Security Contractors, Building Owners, Building Management personnel
- In consultation with internal counsel, addressing legal issues that arise related to union members’ working conditions, negotiations and the interpretation and implementation of multiple collective bargaining agreements
- Collaborating, supporting and participating in the Union’s community and political program activities including outreach, overseeing organizer staff involvement, volunteer coordination and partnership development
- Supervise full-time, internal union representatives who represent union members or non-union workers
- Conduct team and individual meetings for planning and implementing staff duties and responsibilities
- Create and implement staff development and training programs to ensure that staff performance goals are set and met
- Conduct strategic meetings to prepare staff to obtain union’s objectives
- Manage staff deployment, work assignments and workload balancing
- Review and evaluate staff performance
- Interview, hire and train new staff
- Experience working with labor unions as union representative
- Ability to function independently and also work as team member
- Ability to lead and manage others, working effectively with a wide variety of individuals
- Demonstrated interest in building positive work culture and promoting staff growth and development
- Strong facilitation and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to effectively manage a high work load with multiple projects
- Strong attention to detail, excellent organizational skills, and an ability to work well under pressure
- Experience using and managing information technology (databases, etc.)
- High ethical standards and values
- Passion for the mission and goals of the labor movement
- Understanding the role of unions in political work
- Bilingual Spanish/English preferred (Portuguese is a plus)
- 3 – 5 years of progressive management experience, including senior management capacity
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and a working car with insurance.
- Must be willing to and capable of travel outside of the local union’s jurisdiction for the purposes of campaign work, support for national union priorities and/or education and training
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including occasional evenings and weekends, and to travel as needed.
We offer a competitive salary and our benefits package includes employer-paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their qualified dependents, retirement benefits, and a car allowance.
Please send résumé and letter of interest to: HR@seiu32bj.org. 32BJ SEIU is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.