Director of Communications
New York Office
32BJ SEIU is one of the largest and most dynamic labor unions along the East Coast, with over 175,000 members in 12 states and Washington, DC. The Union is at the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, winning strong contracts for members, organizing workers, supporting progressive candidates for elected office and moving a broad policy agenda, including campaigns to guarantee living wages, promote responsible development and expand access to health care. 32BJ has grown rapidly over the past decade and currently employs approximately 475 staff in sixteen offices from Boston to Miami.
32BJ SEIU, seeks a nimble, strategic and committed Director of Communications (DC) to build upon a broad and robust communications program, and bring our work to the next level. The Director of Communications works with union leadership to strength public knowledge and member engagement on the vital role that 32BJ in particular – and labor unions in general – play in the economy and in the lives of working Americans. The DC will accomplish this by developing and implementing a rigorous, focused, long-term communications plan.
The DC is a key member of the Union’s senior staff team, responsible for developing, fine-tuning and enforcing communications goals to enhance the 32BJ brand across all of our districts and to promote members’ knowledge and understanding of the Union program. We accomplish our goal through savvy media outreach to high-impact reporters in various national, local and micro local media outlets and disseminating 32BJ-produced content via digital and print platforms. The DC will coordinate all external and internal member communications, working with and supervising the Union’s regional communications team. The DC should be strategic, creative thinkers with strong management skills who know how to utilize a range of communications tools to engage members and advance campaigns.
This position is based at 32BJ’s headquarters in New York City and requires occasional travel.
- Create and implement forward-thinking, union-wide branding, messaging, and communications plans to target diverse audiences, including members, allies, the media, policy makers, and political leaders;
- Develop and direct campaign communications, media strategy, and member-to-member communications programs;
- Lead on national media relations, including pitching, building reporter relationships, and managing crisis communications with local and national press;
- Serve as a partner to union officers on developing and executing communications strategies and setting benchmarks to track progress;
- Recruit, manage, inspire, and support a diverse and growing communications team in offices up and down the East Coast;
- Manage, supervise and evaluate 19 internal and external communicators in all of the Union’s geographies, maintaining message discipline and consistency;
- Act as spokesperson for the Union when necessary;
- Work effectively with other locals, SEIU International, and community groups;
- Embrace, promote and demonstrate the organizations’ core values of leadership, excellence, compassion, accountability, transparency, and empowerment; and
- Regularly update union leadership on all progress, challenges, and successes of ongoing projects.
- Ten to fifteen years of experience in communications or campaign management in labor, advocacy or related work;
- Experience in communications planning and capacity building in large, multi-faceted organizations;
- Demonstrated experience as a project manager in a fast-paced, campaign-oriented work environment;
- Strong writing skills for print and online formats, strong sense of effective story-telling and proven ability to write quickly, concisely and persuasively;
- Facility with new media tools and openness to expanding skills in this area;
- Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice, especially work with union members, low-wage and/or immigrant communities;
- Experience in developing training materials and templates and in conducting trainings on communications skills;
- Ability to work independently, handle multiple priority projects, and meet deadlines;
- Supervisory skills with demonstrated experience effectively managing and developing others; and
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and flexibility in approach to project assignments and planning.
We offer a competitive salary based on experience. Our benefits package includes employer-paid health and dental insurance for employees and their qualified dependents, and a retirement benefit.
Please email resume, letter of interest and three writing samples to HR@seiu32bj.org
with subject “Director of Communications”
32BJ SEIU is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.