32BJ SEIU is one of the largest and most dynamic labor unions in the Northeast, with over 175,000 members in 11 states and Washington, DC. The Union is at the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, supporting progressive candidates for elected office and moving a broad policy agenda, including campaigns to guarantee living wages, advance workers’ rights, and promote responsible development. Its parent organization, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), is the nation’s largest labor union.
The Organizer will help ensure that residential and commercial real estate development in New York City creates good building service jobs with family-sustaining wages and benefits. The Organizer will work with 32BJ members, the union’s political, organizing, field, research, legal teams, and community partners on campaigns to win labor standards at new developments citywide. This position is based in New York City, and typically involves regular travel around the city, but is currently largely remote due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Overview of Responsibilities:
- Political Engagement
- Assist in development-related advocacy with decision-makers in the land use process, including community boards, city planning institutions, and elected officials
- Monitor political and public policy developments relevant to land use, planning, and real estate development and investment
- Assist with 32BJ’s NY electoral program to help elect candidates who support low-wage workers and good jobs
- Organizing and Managing Events Organize actions, mobilizations, and member and community meetings, track and attend public hearings, draft and present testimony on key projects and policies
- Community Relationships Build relationships and represent 32BJ in work with external partners around development issues
- Member Engagement Facilitate and manage member involvement in development-related campaigns, develop trainings and lead workshops for members relating to land use and development
- Campaign Planning Assist in campaign planning and lead in creating plans for member and community engagement
- Additional Campaign Support Duties may include phone banking, database work, and drafting campaign materials such as fliers, one-pagers, and mailers
The Organizer should be prepared to work irregular hours, including evenings, weekends and occasional holidays, depending on the demands of the campaign.
- Up to one year of experience preferred supporting legislative, electoral, or community organizing campaigns;
- Desire to work and grow in the labor movement;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills;
- Experience building relationships with grassroots leaders and political/community stakeholders;
- Basic understanding of NYC land use, legislative, and political processes;
- Desire and willingness to work as part of a team and across departments within the Union;
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule with irregular hours, including evenings and occasional weekends and holidays, depending on campaign demands;
- Proficiency in Spanish a plus.
Our benefits package includes employer-paid medical, dental and vision plans for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.
People of color and women are strongly encouraged to apply. Local 32BJ is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send a resume and letter of interest to Human Resources at HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “Community/Political Organizer” in the Subject line of your email.