Bilingual Grievance Representative
32BJ SEIU is one of the largest and most dynamic labor unions in the East coast, with over 175,000 members in twelve states and Washington, DC. The Union is at the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, supporting progressive candidates for elected office and moving a broad policy agenda, including campaigns to guarantee living wages, promote responsible development and expand access to health care. Its parent organization, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), is the nation’s largest labor union.
District 615 – located in Boston – is committed to building a strong Union based on membership participation and leadership development. As an integral part of the Union, the bilingual Service Center (Grievance) Representative will handle grievances and work to enforce the terms of collective bargaining agreements in coordination with field organizers and member leaders.
The Grievance Representative will:
- Complete intake with members;
- Read and interpret multiple collective bargaining agreements, identify issues and contract violations;
- File grievances, investigate assigned cases ensuring accurate assessment of issues, documentation of facts, maintenance of timelines, and enforcement of contract;
- Represent union members at grievance hearings; prepare members to present their story in an efficient and coherent manner;
- Negotiate solutions with employers and management representatives while adhering to CBA language and standards;
- Work closely with field organizers in assigned turfs;
- Perform various administrative duties.
This is a full-time position. Candidates must be bilingual in Spanish/English, both verbal and written. Trilingual in Portuguese/ Spanish/ English is preferred. Previous experience and/or interest in the labor movement or legal field is preferred. Representatives must be available to work some Saturdays as scheduled.
We offer a competitive salary, and our benefits package includes employer-paid medical, dental and vision coverage for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.
Please send résumé and letter of interest to HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “Representative” in the Subject line of your email.
32BJ SEIU is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.