Research Data Assistant
New York Office
32BJ SEIU has an opportunity for an effective and creative Research Data Assistant to join our successful Airports team, and help to create and maintain our database. The Research Data Assistant will learn and understand the goals of the team, and seek opportunities to collect and communicate data to help achieve those goals. The position is currently funded for one year.
32BJ SEIU is the largest property service union in the country with 175,000 members across twelve states and the District of Columbia. Our membership includes airport workers, porters, maintenance workers, window cleaners, security officers, and theater and stadium workers. The Research Data Assistant will be assigned to the Airports Field team, reporting to the Airports Field Director, while working closely with the Research department.
- Driving the development and maintenance of an Airports database, to house information about contractors, clients, airports and airport workers; identifying data sources;
- Enhancing data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems; processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data;
- Tracking and analyzing data of various airport contractors across airports, including work performed and clients served, to discover trends and patterns;
- Presenting analysis to the Airports campaign team, including effective oral, written, and visual presentation skills;
- Facilitating the in-person surveying of airport workers throughout our districts, coordinating field data collection from various teams, and directly conducting in-person surveys as needed;
- Filing Freedom of Information requests from airport authorities, as needed;
- Providing other campaign support as needed.
- Experience identifying opportunities for data collection, reporting and analysis that informs decision-makers;
- Strong technical research and data management skills;
- Ability to visualize data (charts, graphs, maps);
- Knowledge of QlilkView or related reporting tools like SSRS or Tableau;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel and PowerPoint;
- Effective interpersonal skills to conduct in-person surveys;
- Experience with Microsoft CRM or equivalent systems;
- Experience with SQL query language a plus;
- Experience conducting research is a plus (eg: for community organizing, corporate or political research, financial analysis, investigative journalism);
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines, delivering work assignments on time; ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of the team;
- Excellent written and verbal communication;
- Ability to travel and work extended hours, as needed;
- Strong commitment to progressive social change;
- Spanish fluency a plus.
We offer a competitive salary. An excellent benefits package includes fully employer-paid medical and dental insurance for employees and their qualified dependents.
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Local 32BJ is an equal opportunity employer. Please send a resume, letter of interest and a brief writing sample to HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “Airports Data” in the Subject line of your email.
32BJ is affiliated with the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), a union that is 2.1 million members strong and growing. Please see https://www.seiu32bj.org for more information about 32BJ SEIU.