New York Metro District
With 175,000 members, SEIU 32BJ is the largest union representing property service workers in the country. Our members have fought for and achieved high standards for private and public sector property service workers, and we continue to fight for higher standards for thousands of unorganized service workers.
SEIU 32BJ represents 86,000 members in the NY Metro area. Our members work in commercial, residential and public school buildings, as security officers, window cleaners, ushers, superintendents, office cleaners and porters. The Administrative Assistant (“AA”) is a member of the representation team, providing support for all the work performed in the District. The AA manages multiple responsibilities, meeting deadlines and enforcing policy and procedure.
- Interface with office services and facilities management for any facility-related issues, including security, climate control, cleaning needs, work space, building access, etc.
- Initiate human resources processes for approval, through the HR data system. This includes checking for required forms and entering new hires, and processing terminations and pay changes.
- Provide critical support for data and metrics systems, including processing union membership cards.
- Provide logistical and staff support for rallies, member meetings, trainings, events and conferences as needed. Responsibilites include booking space, negotiating with caterers, bus companies and other vendors to obtain the services necessary to support these events.
- Adminstrative support on grievance handling including but not limited to: distribution of member settlement checks and preparing material for cases sent to arbitration and the Grievance Appeal Board.
- General support for the NYM District including but not limited to: open and distribute mail, process invoices, order food for events, mass mailings, creating labels and badges for meetings and conferences, maintain inventory of supplies, maintain and organize shared conference rooms and copy rooms, troubleshoot copiers and printers.
- Help manage member traffic to the office through our cueing system. Cover the member reception desk during the second AA’s lunch break or absence, provide support for managing member flow and facilitate members meetings with supervisors.
- Maintain and secure laptops for union representatives going to hearings and other meetings.
- Other duties as assigned to support the union’s program and goals.
- Experience as an administrative assistant working in a large, fast-paced office.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word (mail merge), Excel, Outlook and Power Point. Ability to learn internal data and workflow systems required.
- Strong customer service skills, including experience working with a diverse audience.
- Demonstrated ability and experience managing multiple responsibilities and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent communications skills – verbal and written – including effective business writing.
- Demonstrated ability handling confidential material and information in a professional manner.
- Willingness and ability to work outside of core business hours including evenings and weekend as needed.
- Experience with, and commitment to, social justice issues is a plus.
- Spanish/English bilingual required.
32BJ offers a full benefits package including pension and 401k plans, and employer-paid health, dental and vision plans for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.
Please send a resume and letter of interest to HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “Admin” in the Subject line of your email. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.