New York Office
With 175,000 members, SEIU 32BJ is the largest union representing property service workers in the country. Our members have fought for and achieved high standards for private and public sector property service workers, and we continue to fight for higher standards for thousands of unorganized service workers.
The staff of the NY Metropolitan District represent, train and support 86,000 members, working in commercial and residential buildings and NYC public schools. They are security officers, window cleaners, ushers, superintendents, office cleaners and porters. The Administrative Assistant is one of two positions responsible for supporting all the work performed in the District.
- Manage member traffic to the Auditorium through our cueing system. This includes coordinating with other staff to ensure adequate coverage, and to make adjustments when the wait time is too long.
- Work with Information Tech staff to troubleshoot problems with equipment.
- Manage meeting spaces to ensure compliance with COVID guidelines, including space for member group meetings, grievance hearings, arbitration meetings and case-related depositions.
- Responsible for workflows in the Human Resources management system, including temporary hires and extensions and requests for laptops and iPhone.
- Provide logistical and staff support for rallies, member meetings, trainings, phone banking operations, events and conferences as needed. Responsibilities include booking space, negotiating with caterers, bus companies and other vendors. (Because of our Covid safety procedures, there is not much demand for this work at the moment. This will change as the Covid environment changes.)
- Facilitate Zoom meetings: schedule, manage presentations and participants during meetings.
- Help run messaging campaigns upon request, including obtaining reports in our progress.
- Provide critical support for several data and metrics systems. Pull member participation reports from the Zoom platform and research missing data to complete member activity reports.
- Provide administrative support of grievance work, including maintaining files and processing correspondence
- General administrative support for the NYM District includes: opening and distributing mail, processing invoices, mass mailings, creating labels and badges for meetings and conferences, maintaining and ordering office supplies, maintaining and organizing shared spaces and office equipment.
- Interface with office services and facilities management for any facility-related issues, including security, climate control, cleaning needs, work space, building access, etc.
- Other duties as assigned to support the Union’s program and goals.
- Relevant experience, providing administrative support in a large, fast-paced office.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word (mail merge), Excel, Outlook and Power Point. Ability to learn internal data and workflow systems required.
- Strong customer service skills, particularly the ability to engage with our diverse membership, to hear their questions and concerns and address them.
- Demonstrated ability and experience managing multiple responsibilities and deadlines.
- Excellent communications skills – verbal and written – including effective business writing.
- Appreciation for established policies and procedures.
- Experience handling confidential material and information in a professional manner.
- Ability to work as part of a team, including adjusting to shifting priorities.
- Willingness and ability to work outside of core business hours as needed.
- Experience with, and commitment to, social justice is a plus.
- Spanish bilingual preferred.
This is a full time, salaried position with a full benefits package, including a pension plan and employer-paid health coverage for full-time employees and their eligible dependents.
Qualified candidates may send a resume and letter of interest to Human Resources at HR@seiu32bj.org, with subject “NYM Administrative Assistant” People of color and women are encouraged to apply.