32BJ SEIU, the largest property service union in the country, is seeking an aggressive, nimble and creative Regional Communications Manager to help develop and oversee a comprehensive and strategic communications program for our Northern region, which includes New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. The Regional Communications Manager will be a key member of the Union’s senior communications team, strategizing, managing and prioritizing communications work with the local leadership team in Boston.
The communications program includes media relations, social media and member communications for contract fights, organizing drives and legislative and political campaigns.
The Manager will supervise three staff members in developing workplans, strategizing around media and member communications work, and editing and approving all written material. The Manager will directly drive the communications program for District 615, which includes New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Rhode Island, and is anchored in Boston.
Candidates should be creative thinkers, capable and skilled multi-taskers, who know how to utilize a range of communications tools to help advance campaigns. The Regional Communications Manager reports to the Director of Communications.
- Develop and oversee comprehensive strategic communications programs across 32BJ’s Northern Region;
- Manage, supervise and evaluate communications staff;
- Act as lead communications strategist and coordinator for District 615;
- Create long-term plans, goals and priorities for communications in the assigned markets;
- Participate in campaign strategy and planning meetings with Area Leaders and campaign directors;
- Drive and execute communications plans, including media relations, new media and member communications, throughout the region; and identify needs for additional communications support at key junctures;
- Initiate contact with and respond to inquiries from print, radio, and television journalists; pitch story ideas and provide information to generate positive media coverage in the region; and work to identify opportunities to engage national media;
- Build relationships with labor, immigration, political and other key media in the region;
- Write news advisories, news releases, background pieces, fact sheets, message documents and other press materials for campaigns;
- Work with member communications staff on materials including newsletters, emails, texting and other resources for campaigns in the region;
- Conduct member interviews and spokesperson development for member communications materials and for public speaking;
- Strategize and implement new media components into campaigns, including concepts for microsites, Twitter, Facebook and email outreach;
- Perform other duties as required to support the department and its mission.
- Eight to ten years of experience in communications in labor, politics or advocacy organizations;
- Experience in strategic communications planning in large, multi-faceted organizations;
- Demonstrated experience as a project manager in a fast-paced, campaign-oriented work environment;
- Experience managing and supervising staff across geographical regions;
- Outstanding writer, able to create strong press releases, message documents and member communications materials;
- Familiarity with new media tools and openness to expanding skills in this area;
- Experience in working with and creating communications for union or organizational members on advocacy campaigns;
- Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice, especially work with union members, low-wage and immigrant communities;
- Ability to work independently, handle multiple priority projects and meet deadlines;
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and flexibility in approach to project assignments and planning
- Ability to travel regularly for planning meetings, events and member meetings;
- Spanish-language writing and speaking abilities strongly preferred.
32BJ SEIU, the largest property service union in the country, represents 163,000 workers in building services, security and school services. 32BJ is growing by organizing workers who are fighting fair wages and for a voice in their future. At the forefront of the fight for economic justice in eleven states and Washington DC, 32BJ works to improve the lives of low-wage workers and their communities.
To Apply: Qualified candidates can send a resume and letter of interest to: HR@seiu32bj.org
32BJ SEIU is an equal opportunity employer; women and people of color strongly encouraged to apply.