32BJ SEIU is one of the largest and most dynamic labor unions along the East Coast, with over 163,000 members in 11 states and Washington, DC. The Union is at the forefront of building the nation’s labor movement, supporting progressive candidates for elected office and moving a broad policy agenda, including campaigns to guarantee living wages, promote responsible development, and expand access to health care. Its parent organization, the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), is the nation’s largest labor union.
The Political Director is based in South Florida with travel throughout South and Central Florida.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Supervise all in-state political staff;
- Manage overall direction and focus of political program for the entire state;
- Plan and coordinate political field activities, lobby visits, phone banking and events for our public policy campaigns at the school district, city, county, state and federal level;
- Coordinate the mobilization, training, and education of new member leaders and activists for legislative and electoral activity;
- Plan and supervise electoral program for local, state and federal elections;
- Identify opportunities and drive organizational engagement in ongoing legislative and issue campaigns.
- Work with the 32BJ SEIU Deputy Political Directors and Policy Director to develop and implement a statewide public policy and political agenda throughout the region.
- Manage and coordinate the union’s work with local labor and community allies, including the SEIU State Council programs.
- Provide political, electoral, legislative and fundraising updates and reports to Union Officials, Leaders and rank and file members.
- Support contract and organizing campaigns, including rallies, press events, legislative opportunities and targeted owner activity;
- Act as liaison with Elected Officials and their staff;
- Oversee regional activity for federal legislative campaigns.
- 5 to 7 years of experience coordinating legislative, electoral, or community organizing campaigns;
- Ability to design and implement powerful and effective campaign plans;
- Comprehensive knowledge of legislative processes;
- Experience working on electoral campaigns and managing field programs;
- Excellent communications skills and experience building strong working relationships with stakeholders across the Union;
- Fluent written and oral Spanish and/or Haitian Creole preferred but not required;
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including occasional evenings and weekends, and to travel as needed.
We offer a competitive salary based on experience. We provide a full benefits package including employer-paid medical and dental coverage for employees and their eligible dependents, a pension plan, and a car allowance.
Please email a resumé and letter of interest to Alison Hirsh, subject “Political Director”, at HR@seiu32bj.org.
32BJ SEIU is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.