New York, NY
Are you looking to build a career fighting for economic justice? Do you love investigating tough questions, and do you have the tenacity and commitment to stick with a campaign until you win? Are you passionate about the responsible development of New York City neighborhoods? If you answered “yes” to these questions, we’d love to hear from you. The Service Employees International Union Local 32BJ is looking for a full-time Research Fellow to support the Union’s new development campaigns. The Fellowship is for a six-month period, with the possibility of a staff position if performance is exceptional.
32BJ SEIU is the largest property service union in the country with 163,000 members across twelve states and the District of Columbia. Our membership includes cleaners, doormen, porters, maintenance workers, window cleaners, security officers, superintendents, and theater and stadium workers. The Research Fellow will be assigned to the New Development Campaign team, working with 32BJ members and staff, as well as community partners, to develop and implement strategies and tactics to advance campaign goals.
Work may include:
- Conducting basic industry, corporate, and individual research;
- Conducting research into city and state development policies;
- Tracking planned new developments, development approvals, and development finances;
- Financial analysis of real estate development projects;
- Drafting company profiles, testimony, and other research and campaign materials;
- Designing and driving certain campaigns that may overlap with union organizing drives;
- Attending community hearings and information sessions on development projects;
- Organizing actions, such as rallies, membership meetings, and press conferences;
- Providing other campaign support as needed.
- Strong commitment to progressive social change;
- Strong technical research and quantitative skills;
- Experience with a variety of computer-based research tools;
- Excellent written and verbal communication;
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines and in a team environment;
- Strong work habits and ability to work independently;
- Familiarity with the labor movement, community organizing, corporate or political research, financial analysis, employed law, and/or investigative journalism a plus;
- Spanish fluency a plus.
We offer a competitive salary. An excellent benefits package includes fully employer-paid medical and dental insurance for employees and their qualified dependents.
Women and people of color are encouraged to apply. Local 32BJ is an equal opportunity employer. Please send a resume, letter of interest and a brief writing sample to HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “Fellow” in the Subject line of your email.
32BJ is affiliated with the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), a union that is 2.1 million members strong and growing.