NY Metro District
32BJ SEIU is one of the largest and most dynamic labor unions in the United States, with 163,000 members in twelve states and Washington, DC. The Union is at the forefront of driving a progressive policy agenda including living and prevailing wage laws, responsible procurement and development standards, access to quality healthcare and a voice in their future.
The NY Metro District of 32BJ represents 80,000 working people throughout the city and Long Island. We unite office cleaners, apartment building workers, security officers, window cleaners, theater and stadium cleaners and public school workers to advocate on their own behalf, and to raise standards for thousands of unorganized workers.
A 32BJ Field Representative (FR) is the face of the Union for its members. S/He represents the Union to members where they work, and to their employers. FRs know their assigned members, and work to expand their involvement with 32BJ through education, training and activism. The FR has a deep understanding of the union contract. S/He develops leaders from among the members, providing a ladder of opportunity plus training and coaching. Responsibilities include:
- Educates and informs members of their rights and responsibilities under their Union contract
- Addresses workplace issues raised by members. Works with the member to clearly identify a given issue, and recommends and facilitates a path to a solution. Determines whether the issue rises to the level of a grievance
- Handles members’ grievances, from initiation through resolution. Understands the contract, including what constitutes a grievance, time limits, and processes of grievance handling. Tracks steps in the Union’s tracking system (CRM) and updates the member.
- Educates members about the benefits of union membership
- Identifies and develops opportunities for members to participate in contract, organizing and social justice campaigns
- Identifies individual members who can take on leadership roles, and provides opportunity and mentoring to lead
- Develops and maintains relationships with managers and employers to appropriately represent members
- Effectively negotiates the resolution of problems with management
- Facilitates a relationship between the steward and front line supervisors/managers.
- Experience as an active union member strongly preferred
- Experience engaging people for purposes of organizing, activism, or political action; effective one-on-one verbal communication
- Ability and experience managing one’s time and work results
- Effective written communication skills
- Strong computer skills and ability in adopting new technology tools
- Experience with conflict resolution a plus
32BJ provides an excellent benefits package, including employer-paid medical, dental and vision plans for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.
Please email a letter of interest and a resume to HR@seiu32bj.org. Please use “Field” in the Subject line of your email.
32BJ encourages people of color and women to apply.