32BJ SEIU, the largest property service union in the country, is seeking an aggressive, nimble and creative Communications Specialist to help drive a comprehensive and strategic communications program in key markets in the union’s eleven-state region. The communications program includes media relations, social media and member communications for contract fights, organizing drives and legislative and political campaigns.
The Communications Specialist will be a key member of the union’s communications team, responsible for communications in New Jersey.
Candidates should be creative thinkers, capable and skilled multi-taskers, who know how to utilize a range of communications tools to help advance campaigns. The Communications Specialist reports to the Regional Communications Manager.
- Work with Regional Communications Manager to drive and execute communications plans, including media relations, new media and member communications, throughout the region;
- Initiate contact with and respond to inquiries from print, radio, and television journalists; pitch story ideas and provide information to generate positive media coverage in the region;
- Build relationships with labor, immigration, political and other key media in the region;
- Write news advisories, news releases, background pieces, fact sheets, message documents and other press materials for campaigns;
- Draft member communications, including newsletters, emails, texting and other materials for campaigns in the region;
- Conduct member interviews and spokesperson development for member communications materials and for public speaking;
- Strategize and implement new media components into campaigns, including concepts for microsites, Twitter, Facebook and email outreach;
- Perform other duties as required to support the department and its mission.
- Three to five years of experience in communications in labor, politics or advocacy organizations;
- Experience in strategic communications planning in large, multi-faceted organizations;
- Outstanding writer, able to create strong press releases, message documents and member communications materials;
- Familiarity with new media tools and openness to expanding skills in this area;
- Experience in working with and creating communications for union or organizational members on advocacy campaigns;
- Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice, especially work with union members, low-wage and immigrant communities;
- Ability to work independently, handle multiple priority projects and meet deadlines;
- Very strong preference for a candidate comfortable speaking and writing in Spanish;
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and flexibility in approach to project assignments and planning
- Ability to travel regularly for planning meetings, events and member meetings.
32BJ SEIU, the largest property service union in the country, is working to create good jobs for 163,000 workers in building, food, security and school services and for all working families. At the forefront of the fight for economic justice in twelve states, 32BJ works to improve low-wage work and strengthen families and communities.
A full benefits package includes employer-paid medical, dental and vision coverage for full-time employees and their qualified dependents.
To apply please E-mail resume and three press-related writing samples, including your best press release, placement and op-ed to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.